6 Immunity-Boosting Foods To Add To Family Meals
Everyone has the same question on their mind right now: how to keep myself and my family as healthy as possible during a pandemic?
While we’re all familiar with the defence strategies that have dominated the last few months - washing hands for 20 seconds, social distancing, hand sanitiser aplenty - the best defence starts from within. Viruses attack our immune systems, so how can we best ensure that our immunity is in good enough shape to be up to the challenge?
- Red bell peppers: if your kids can be a little fruit-averse, red bell peppers contain twice as much Vitamin C ounce for ounce than citric fruits. Vitamin C aids the immune system and even stimulates the production of antibodies to fight off disease. They also provide Vitamin A, which helps regulate the immune system, and high beta carotene for healthy skin and eyes.
- Broccoli: Broccoli can be chopped up small for sauces or stews, and contain plenty of Vitamin C and A plus Vitamin E antioxidant properties and insoluble fibre content, especially when cooked as little as possible or even eaten raw.
- Spinach: High in beta carotene and antioxidants, spinach is also rich in Vitamin C. Though for fibre purposes it is best eaten raw, light cooking stimulates release of Vitamin A, as well as reducing the volume visible on the plate so that more can be packed into the dish!
- Ginger: This is a staple of the anti-illness diet because it acts as an anti-inflammatory and is thought to reduce nausea and pain symptoms due to containing gingerol. It’s a superfood in the truest sense, and can be added to most food from chilli con carne to biscuits.
- Garlic: Garlic is fantastic for maintaining good blood pressure and contains high concentration of sulphur-containing compounds such as allicin, crucial for a healthy immune system. Plus, it’s used in practically every cuisine to boost flavour!
- Greek yoghurt: Vitamin D is also vital for good immunity as it helps to regulate the immune system, and greek yoghurt is a great way to work this into ordinary meals. Try swapping it into curries, macaroni and cheese, or even chocolate mousse for a health-boosting dessert!
Fuelling the body to keep you safe from disease doesn’t have to be a challenge. Listening to what your body needs and maintaining balance and variety will ensure that your immune system has the tools at hand to maintain good health and wellness. Enjoy getting creative with vitamin-rich recipes and your family’s immune systems will take care of the rest!
Spending too much time sitting down in Lockdown? Feeling stiff or cooped up in your body? Try these easy, relaxing stretches to wake up your muscles.
Finding it hard to exercise? Looking for ways to stay healthy away from the gym? Sleep is the most essential ingredient for good fitness, and here's why.
It has never been so important to look after body and mind, and exercise is crucial for a healthy immune system. Check out our top ten tips to make the most of your daily walk to keep your body fit and healthy during lockdown!